Sunday, January 3, 2010

Where to go, what to do?

I think this is a record, two posts in one day. I just had more to say that I thought would go better in a new post rather than continue with the previous post.

While I was at my mother's house for New Years Day, after Brenda had left and the football game was on, my mother, sister and I were talking. Sometime in the conversation, my sister started talking about overseas trips, and in the conversation I just piped in with a joking comment about how I wanted to go. My mother then stated that my sister set a precedent for her 40th birthday by having my parents pay for a trip for her to go to Italy, and I would be afforded the same opportunity to go where I wanted.

I was speaking with Brenda last night over dinner. I'll admit, I would love to take my kids with me, but I think at this age, wherever we would go outside of the U.S. may be too much for them. Additionally, I don't think they would be able to sit through the type of meals that people are used to in other countries. I haven't traveled that much, but I do know that for occasions like going out to dinner, one is expected to sit back, relax and enjoy their meal. Essentially, once a person reserves a table, it is theirs for the night. At this age, the kids are lucky to make it through a meal that lasts longer than 30 minutes. Knowing that, and just trying to have them appreciate any culture, I think it may be a couple of more years before we even think about taking them overseas.

Sorry, bit of digression there. As I was saying, I was speaking with Brenda, and I think there are two places I would really love to go. The first place is taking a true vacation to the British Isles. I would think at least a week in London, then heading to Ireland, maybe Scotland, and possibly even go into Paris depending on how the logistics could be worked out. The problem with this trip is that I know Brenda wants to take the kids to Ireland, and we are saving up all of our coins, etc. in a 5-gallon water bottle to try to pay for at least part of this trip. The more I think about it, the more I think this trip may wait until the kids are a bit older and we can actually take them there.

The second trip I would love to take is to go to New Zealand. I know this sounds really geeky, but when we were watching "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, I was just fascinated by the scenery in which the movies were filmed. Yes, I know there was CGI involved in certain spots, and don't expect to see Mt. Doom, but it just seems like it would be a cool trip. I think it could be enhanced by getting a Lord of the Rings tour to see where many of the scenes were filmed.

Aside from those two, I guess it's just a matter of watching the Travel Channel. I mean there is always Berlin, Venice, or trying to stay at the Burj Al Arab in the UAE. If you have any suggestions, please leave them in the comments.

6 comments:

  1. I agree. Kids are way to young to go anywhere but Disney world, etc..I would not take them untill they are at least 10 so they can appreciate what they are seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot to see in the British Isles than you might think. You could spend a couple weeks in London alone and not have done everything you might want to do. I don't think it would be a bad thing to go to London for a couple weeks with some side trips, then go back with the kids, spend a couple days in London doing kid-friendly stuff and then heading to Scotland and Ireland.

    I've never been to New Zealand, but my sister loved it. Not cheap, though.

    I really enjoyed Eastern Europe. My brother's been to more of it than I have and liked virtually everywhere he's been.

    It really depends on what you like to do. London is a great place to do adult stuff like going to the theatre, museums, dinners and such, in much the same way as New York. Budapest is a really interesting city historically and culturally. They're coming back from the years of Communism (which they refer to as "The Tyranny") which they never sat well with. It's an interesting place.

    Then there's France. Liz has been trying to get me there for ages. Also, make sure you know what you're getting into before you go to the UAE...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to go to NZ as well. And yeah, there's no way your kids could survive a European meal. One hour is REALLY fast. Starters, Mains, Dessert, coffee, so on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREECE! Flight with the kids would be awful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Zealand is beautiful with big, open green spaces. You don't need enhancements when you go there. It is beautiful by itself. Much of New Zealand is informal and the behavior of kids would not be a worry. You can have lunch at a sheep ranch. You can go to the firefly caves of the Maori people. You can see the fjords at the southern end of the country. You can go to the historical and college town of Dunedin. There is much to do and see in New Zealand that you would comfortably enjoy.

    ReplyDelete